Thursday, February 25, 2010

All things being sequel . . .


This is one of my favorite, although puzzling, NY phenomenons. I've seen many examples of these sequel-esque restaurant names around, almost always with Chinese restaurants, but now in my neighborhood there's a new entry. Apparently, there is a bar somewhere named CHANCE. The owners, owing to apparent success, decided to open up a second bar located on my block. In doing so, they decided to pass up the myriad of applicable titles that maintain the congruity using the original name: Second Chance, Another Chance, or any other phrase involving chance (I'm sure you can think of a few) . . . and decided on CHANCE II. Is it the propensity of pop culture? Of too many over promoted sequels? Do people not know enough words? It's probably some sort of tax thing. Even so, I'm disappointed. The "II" will always be attached to a sub-par, uncreative, over hyped version of the original that should take place on a boat, in space, fifteen years in the future - OR as I would advocate, never at all, and certainly, never on my block.

No comments: